Thursday, September 20, 2012

All-State Music Questions



 
There have been a few questions concerning the All-State music.   Below is Johnny's response on three of them.

A few questions have arisen concerning the All-State Music that I wanted to pass along. These are all concerning the exercises that students are preparing for this years auditions, not the ones you have completed for next year.

1. In the HS Clarinet Musical Study, in m. 22 there is a natural sign beneath the turn. I believe that this means that the lowest note in the turn should be a natural. However, since it would be an E natural anyway, did you mean that it should be an F natural? The F natural/E sharp seems to fit better with the other turns, but that is probably not the safest way to judge such things.

Answer: The accidental under the turn sign in m. 22 HSL clar. should have been a sharp. I discovered this my self working with a student on Monday. My original version had a sharp and I don't know how it got changed.

2. In the HS Clarinet Technical Study, in m. 14, we have had some question whether the B should be a B flat, as the key indicates, or a B natural.

Answer: HST m 14, the note is correct, but it would have been better had I spelled it with an A-flat instead of a g-sharp. It is actually a misspelled b-flat 7 chord.

3. In the MS Flute Technical Study, in a number of measures, there are grace notes. Did you intend these to be the kind before the beat, or on the beat? There has been a question as to whether they are notated properly.

Answer: The HST flute has two long mordents that should not have been; I inadvertently used the wrong symbol.

4. The last one is the most confusing one to me, because I'm not sure how you would answer this question anyway. In the HS Flute Technical Study there are mordents. I have had a question from a flute teacher who wants to know how you would interpret it. She is concerned that people will interpret it differently, and wants there to be one correct interpretation. Your thoughts? 
 
Answer: Before addressing the MST flute grace notes, I want to do a little research. I know what I meant, but I need to make sure I wrote what I meant. On all of these I will make appropriate changes and send you a new file.

No comments:

Post a Comment